Thinking of selling? What paperwork will you need?

October 17

Selling your house can be a daunting experience. Let's face it, most of us only sell our home 2-3 times.

There's all sorts of advice on how to present your house for sale, but little information on what documentation you need to get ready.

If you are going to sell, you will need to engage a solicitor or conveyancer to manage the paperwork. You can do it yourself if you wish and there are many kits that you can purchase online that will walk you through the process. 

Your solicitor/conveyancer will prepare a contract for sale and do the necessary title and council searches that are normally included in a contract. If your property is leased, you will be asked to provide a copy of the lease.

Your real estate agent needs a copy of this contract before they offer your property for sale.

If you've extended your home or built a shed if you are on a property, it is also advisable to get a copy of the "occupation certificate". This certificate is issued after the final council inspection. Most purchasers and their solicitors/conveyancers will want to know that the house they are buying complies. Having to organise this during a sale can hold up the process while you organise the inspection and any necessary work. For example, recently I sold a house that had an extension done 11 years ago. The owners forgot all about the final inspection and started enjoying the extension. However when they went to sell, the first thing they were asked for was the occupation certificate. Unfortunately building codes had changed by this time and they needed to do more on the house to make it comply with the new code. The whole process added a month to the sale and cost several thousand dollars.

If you have a swimming pool, you will need to make sure that it's registered and that the fence complies with regulations.  A certificate of compliance or non compliance will need to be attached to the contract for sale. 

If your home is not sewered you will also need to locate your approval to operate a sewerage management facility from your local council.

So much to do!